New student orientation (Genesis) is a four-day event for all new students preparing you to join the Panther community.
Programming will include opportunities to meet other students, connect with academic advising, finalize payment plans, explore campus resources and more.
Welcome to the York University family! Genesis is where you learn what it means to
be a Panther. The new student orientation is four days full of meeting fellow students,
engaging with faculty and staff, familiarizing yourself with campus, as well as participating
in programs designed to immerse yourself in the community of York University.
We are excited for you to join!
Experience York U
The mission of Genesis is designed to support new students as they begin their journey at York University. We aim to offer opportunities that empower you to create meaningful experiences that lead to a successful transition and integration into college life.
During Genesis, you will:
- Meet fellow students
- Get accustomed to dorm/apartment life
- Meet faculty and staff
- Pick up textbooks
- Learn about different social opportunities offered on campus
- Meet Residence Life staff
- Receive free swag
- Complete important academic, student development and financial aid business (student i.d., register vehicle, etc.)
- Officially become a part of the Panther Family!
One or two parents/guardians are permitted to accompany each student through the check-in line. Family and friends accompanying students may assist with move-in for up to 24 hours after arrival to campus. We request that anyone helping a student move-in will say goodbyes and leave campus by 24 hours after arrival.
Genesis does not have a registration fee and is an all inclusive event. Your meals, transportation and entertainment is covered by York University.
- The first devotional of the year with new students.
- Club & Organization Kick-Off, a time to meet different clubs and find out how you can be involved during your time at York.
- Enjoy a meal, with your Genesis group at a York University faculty/staff member in their home.
- Panther Prowl - submerse yourself in the community of York, NE and see what is offered, from part/full-time jobs, discounts when you shop, to even free giveaways!
- Block Party - an all-school celebration the evening before classes start.