1. Say a sincere “Thank You.” It’s something so simple that goes a really long way.
2. Remember those who couldn’t come home…the fallen are buried around the world.
3. Remember those out there now… the actively serving, the prisoners of war, the missing in action. If you want to take an active role, contact Offutt AFB Public Affairs about writing a letter or sending a care package.
4. Don’t avoid the scarred and wounded.
5. Think kindly of those that struggle to adapt to regular life
6. Give to veterans' organizations, donating time or money or both.
There are lots of organizations out there trying to meet the needs of veterans that could use some help, but here are just a few:
Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
The Gary Sinise Foundation
Wounded Warrior Project
American Red Cross
Blue Star Families
Military Outreach USA
York County Veterans Service Office
VFW Post 1609
Veterans’ Homes (Kearney, Bellevue, Norfolk, Scottsbluff)
VA Medical Centers (Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island)
Nebraska Veterans Aid
7. Help The Community -- Do something to improve your community. Have an attitude of gratitude by finding a way to make a positive difference yourself by doing something honorable
8. Get Informed -- Know our history; learn from our mistakes, celebrate any goodness in our achievements. Find out what’s going on inside and outside our country so you can be part of a "more perfect" solution.
9. Vote -- Be informed and participate in our elections process (local, state and federal). Voting is a freedom many other countries don't get to enjoy. Exercise it.
10. Honor God -- If you’re a Christian, you are the best hope for this country. When we fall short of reaching our high ideals, If we lose our way and adopt distorted views of justice and peace and freedom, God working through you will be the best hope to turn this country around. The name you wear is the name of Jesus. Because of what He did for us on the cross, our only reasonable response is to do something with our lives that honors Him.
“Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." Proverbs 3:3-4
York College is grateful to all those who have served our nation, past and present. Thank you for your sacrifice and dedication!
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.