Student Work Study

York University offers students part-time jobs called "work-study" that offer a range of different skills, fields and experiences. Working part-time allows students to earn money for expenses, establish a work record and develop skills. 

These jobs are hourly and pay minimum wage. Students will be paid according to the number of hours worked each month.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study is a program provided by the federal government that assists York University to employ students based on their financial aid eligibility. Financial Aid will determine the award, and the student will be notified in an award letter.  Jobs in the library and as reading specialists may be filled by Federal Work-Study students only.

Institutional Work-Study

Students who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study are considered Institutional Work-Study students. Institutional Work-Study students may not apply for jobs designated as Federal Work-Study positions.

Note: The work-study award amount reflected on the Financial Aid award letter is not applied directly to your charges in the Student Accounts Office. Students must work in order to receive work-study funds on a monthly basis. Awarded eligibility does not guarantee the student a job. Students must complete the FAFSA and work-study Application in order to be eligible for a work-study job (excluding international students). All work-study positions are on campus. International students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study, but may be eligible for Institutional Work-Study.
Types of Employment
There are many types of student jobs available including:
  • Office/Clerical jobs
  • Tutors
  • Lab assistants
  • Faculty assistants
  • General maintenance
  • Grounds
  • Janitorial
  • Food service
  • Postal clerks
  • Library desk attendants
  • Light and sound technicians
  • Drama and music assistants
  • Athletic trainer assistant
  • Athletic game day operations
  • Intramural refereeing
  • Recruiting

Application Process

1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). York University's school code is 002567.

2.  Fill out the work study application form. 

​A completed York University Work-study Application must be on file in the Financial Aid Office at York University to receive Federal or Institutional Work-Study. Applications will be accepted until August 15. They will then be forwarded on to the various departments for review.  

Hiring Process

Supervisors may contact students to arrange interviews once school begins.  Preferences for jobs will be based on financial need. A job will be assigned to the eligible students as funds allow on a first come first serve basis.
Supervisors will complete a Student Work Authorization Form indicating the student(s) they wish to hire and forward the requisition to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will have final say over all work study placements.
It is the student’s responsibility to contact the supervisor and arrange a work schedule during the first few days of school. If this is not done before September 10, the student’s work-study will be cancelled and the job will be assigned to someone else. If the student cannot locate the supervisor, please contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance. If you cannot arrange a satisfactory work schedule with your supervisor, you must have your supervisor write to the Financial Aid Office and explain the problem.

Documentation Needed

If hired, students will need to complete a W-4 for federal and state withholding, an I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), and a payroll authorization form. Documentation of identity and employment eligibility will need to be provided. Most common documents provided by students are:
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Social security card
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
Original documents must be presented. Students will not be able to work until they have completed all necessary paperwork. Once all required documents are on file in the Financial Aid Office, students will be given an approval slip to give to their supervisor.
Please check this website for a list of acceptable documents.

Termination Procedure

Once work has begun, changes are not allowed. If the student is not satisfied with his/her assignment, the student may terminate working at any time. Please show courtesy by notifying the supervisor ahead of time if situations arise which will prohibit the student from being at work. If the supervisor is not satisfied with job performance, a formal complaint may be filed with the Financial Aid Office explaining the details of the situation. When a complaint is filed, it is our procedure to discuss the problem with both the student and the supervisor. Hopefully, the matter can be resolved. If, however, a second complaint is filed later, your work-study will be cancelled. Once this happens, no new job assignment will be made.