Communication & Speech Department
Express your passion, explore the body-mind-spirit connection, and prepare for a successful
career--and life--with a degree from York University in communication.
York University's Department of Communication and Speech:
- Nurtures each student to better appreciate and understand expressive communication.
- Prepares students for confident and competent entry into their chosen fields, whether that be graduate school or their initial professional experience.
- Provides students with a balance of communication theory and practical application.
- Offers a variety of opportunities to be involved. There are multiple performance opportunities through the theatre program as well as other departmental venues.
Strategic and Corporate Communication
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an concentration in Strategic and Corporate Communication
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an concentration in Theatre
Media and Film Studies
Bachelor of Arts in Communication with an concentration in Media and Film Studies
A degree in communications provides the skills necessary to pursue rewarding careers in:
- Public Relations
- Human Resources
- Office Management
- Health and Human Services
- Real Estate
- Business Management
Some of the courses you may take include:
- Communication Theory
- Media Writing
- Interpersonal Communication
- Principles of Advertising
- Organizational Behavior
- Advanced Public Speaking and Persuasion
- Faith and Film
- Film as Literature
- Business Communications
- Technical Theatre
- The learner will be exposed to the theories and principles of communication/business found within the major disciplines of communication/business.
- The learner will show the ability to use communication-writing styles.
- The learner will develop and use skills found in the disciplines of communication and business.
- The learner will integrate faith with communication and business..
- The learner will be able to identify the theories and principles of theatre performance and technical theatre.
- The learner will be able to identify the theories and principles of speech presentation and writing.
Our faculty members provide students solid biblical preparation, an understanding of humankind, and tools to continue the thoughtful pursuit of truth. Faith and learning are integrated in each course to prepare students for life--not just their professions.
Performing Arts at YU
Students interested in performing arts have the opportunity to get involved in theatre productions and music ensembles. The performing arts department encourages creative, artistic activity that enriches the overall education of all students. Students from any degree program are welcome to participate.